Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Fall. Fashion. Fabulous.

The time is finally upon us, as August is nearing an end, that the leaves will start there colorful artistic statement before they take off for the year. The time for pumpkin spice lattes, layered outfits and rich colors! My favorite time of the year! To celebrate the break from the sweltering heat I wanted to recap some of my favorite elements from NYC's Mercedes Benz Fashion Week back in February. Maybe we can catch the trends that will be on the racks in a matter of days!

My first overall impression of the forecast is a little dark. A lot of the runways consisted of black, and although creatively constructed, I look forward to this season for its fabulous color not its dreary funeral presence. Therefore, I am going to focus more on those.
There are many garments that contained this flowing wispy, romantic quality. It makes me feel like the lead in a period romance role of some movie. This dress by Jill Stuart makes me want to grab my vintage gloves and cocktail hat and go for a stroll through Central Park and then resting for afternoon tea! Which also brings me to a very happy note: many models were decked out with creative pieces from the millinery department (hats)! I say that its about time hats were incorporated back into daily fashion.
There were also many metallic pieces; more silver than bronze or gold, but regardless they were nothing terribly original. I feel metallic has been a trend for a while, and although I love the look, I feel the gilding can take a break for a few seasons...maybe be in the background in accessories only. I did however, enjoy the interpretation Georges Chakra took on the color palette. This dress has the structured pop reminiscent of the 1950s with a presence of the recent Ombre dying trend. I love the final product; well done.
Many garments incorporated the asymmetric neckline. I love this neckline, I feel its elegant and unique. I was hoping a designer would make it work for fall without leaving a jacket to do the job; I did not see this. I feel the best way to take this dress (or pieces like it) to the cooler months is adding a simple fitted long sleeve cotton top; crew neck. Keeping the undergarment simple will allow the top piece to be the statement and the play on the two-tone outfit will be fun to mix and match throughout the season. This dress by Christian Siriano lends a soft lady-like look from the chiffon and the ruching will provide the slimming figure we desire. The asymmetric line shows enough collarbone for sexy, and the cap sleeve seals the outfit with a touch of girly innocence.

Many tops and dresses for this season had the keyhole cutout on the bodice, but none were done quite like this one by Carolina Herrera. Leave it to CH to take a sexy cutout to an elegant respectable place. Fitted but covered, modest with a sexy sheer peek-a-boo; I love the final product. Also this color is such a vibrant hue, how wonderful is that??! The colors that were seen throughout most designers were of purple (mainly eggplant), dark Mediterranean blue, and marigold. With all the black, they were refreshing surprises for the eye.
Finally my favorite outfit of the entire Fashion Week! An eccentric blend of vintage and fun by Leifsdottir. One of my favorite colors of fall is pumpkin, and what a nice way to pop the outfit by placing it in the skirt? I love the patterned hose (its the only kind I wear). Then to top off the outfit with fun vintage pieces like peep-toe heels, a girly umbrella, and a French cocktail hat?...Perfection! This outfit makes me ready for fall in an instant!

*photos compliments of Mercedes Benz Fashion Week - find them HERE*

Gather your scarves, patterned hose, and cute jackets; Fall will be here before we know it...Yay!

4 comments:

Amber said...

It's already here on this side of the ocean!
I went shopping today and scoped out some coats for ya :)
French trends aren't quite the same as above, not a lot of pattern tights (too cold), metallics are still very huge in both pret-à-porter and now in home decor as well. Contemporary is very in all around. shame, cause it's not me at all!
Do agree on the colors though! I was so stoked to see a rusty red meets pumpkin top but unfortunately they didn't have my size :(
I agree with you about the hats, too.. let's bring those back in over here! I'll be depending on you to design something fabulous, of course!

Couture Carrie said...

Gorgeous selections, darling!
I am especially loving that nude asymmetric dress!

xoxox,
CC

Couture Carrie said...

P.S. The cocktail hat by Leifsdottir is awesome!

xoxox,
CC

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

i adore that last outfit! can't wait for bright colors/patterns/textures! =)

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

Copyright Rigmarole

Art is a product of original thought, creative compilation, and lots of blood, sweat, and tears...so please, please do not copy the content posted on this blog without permission.

Many photos are the property of Jessica Kelly Photography although not all are ghost marked, please do not use content unless an appropriate hyperlink back is created. And please shoot me an email... I like to spread the content love as a community.

I have tried to credit any outside content pulled as best I can. If you see anything miss credited please feel free to let me know so that I can fix that!
Related Posts with Thumbnails