Monday, April 18, 2011

Clothing DIY: Upcycle Your Tshirt

After waiting far too long for Spring to arrive, I had a clothing DIY weekend! Over the years I have acquired a large amount of fitted tees and rather than throw things away I was inspired to upcycle my tshirt. Fun as well as reducing my need to spend money shopping...win, win!

Here is a casual baseball long sleeve tee that was a gift of love...but it is just not my style. Here are some simple step by step rules for a clothing DIY overhaul for you:



1. Cut

Being scissor happy is Clothing DIY Guideline numero uno! Cut off the sleeves and sew the hem back (I decided to lave a trim of the navy blue along edge). From the sleeves, cut out as many ping pong ball sized circles as possible, then slit the circles all the way around. When you upcycle your tshirt you always want to try and use as much of the fabric as possible...hello? free fabric!



2. Embellish

Stack 3-4 circles at a time and hand sew them onto the shirt, place them close together so they gather. I placed mine strategically over the insignia branding the shirt, and then went from there.



Once all pieces are in place, ruffle them up by finger-combing them. Get them to stand up and look messy, this will create the wild flourish effect.


Et voila! Upcycle that tshirt into a clothing DIY dream! For either a casual look paired with these Anthropologie pants I've had waiting in my closet for Spring to arrive, or a flirty look like this Leifsdotter maxi skirt from Neiman Marcus.

Have you ever Clothing DIYed 
your wardrobe mes cheris?

6 comments:

TheDollsFactory said...

great DIY, it defnitely transformed it

Always following
The Dolls Factory

Tara @ Haute Lunch said...

Wow, I am completely blown away by how much of a change this t-shirt underwent! What a fabulous idea! You're definitely talented!

Diana said...

This is the best DIY ive ever seen! Im tweeting this! Love the little ruffle flower you did! Amazing! :)

Elle @ (Eat.Style.Play) said...

I can't even believe that! I may have to try this!

www.chellbellz.com

Fashion Is Passion by Poison said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'll be following your blog. Come to my blog often and we can leave comments for each other;)

Poison
fashionispassionbypoison.blogspot.com

Renee Hall said...

Great upcycle!

Copyright Rigmarole

Art is a product of original thought, creative compilation, and lots of blood, sweat, and tears...so please, please do not copy the content posted on this blog without permission.

Many photos are the property of Jessica Kelly Photography although not all are ghost marked, please do not use content unless an appropriate hyperlink back is created. And please shoot me an email... I like to spread the content love as a community.

I have tried to credit any outside content pulled as best I can. If you see anything miss credited please feel free to let me know so that I can fix that!
Related Posts with Thumbnails