Tuesday, September 20, 2011

NYC Digs: Tasty Guest Blogger: Laurel on Health Food

As you know my dears, I love sending you to new places for your shopping, food, and general fabulous needs. Living here in NYC one of my favorite things is talking to people about new places to go! NYC has thousands of restaurants to choose from and there are always new ones coming in, living here has seriously made me a major foodie! Which is why I had to create the NYC Digs series just to catalog all of them! Well I bumped into Laurel at the 24Blogazine Cover Launch Party and we bonded over our mutual love for mini cupcakes. As a trained health coach, Laurel enjoys finding amazing and healthy places to dine wherever she goes...and she puts all of her discoveries on her fabulous blog Laurel on Health Food.

So without further ado read a NYC Digs (sweet tooth - health) special and then hop over to Laurel's blog to learn more about eating right, the tasty way!

Laurel on Health Food

NYC is absolutely bursting with amazing places to eat and healthier restaurants are no exception. Lately I’ve been having a ball checking out bakeries and dessert shops that feature vegan, gluten-free, or raw items. Tu-Lu’s Gluten-Free Bakery was one of my latest stops.


Tu-Lu's store front 

Tu-Lu’s is an adorable, small bakery tucked away on 11th Street in the East Village. Tully, creator of Tu-Lu’s, opened the shop in February 2010. Tully has gluten intolerance and wanted to offer “gluten-free baked goods that taste just as delicious as products containing wheat.” Tu-Lu’s also offers several vegan items, meaning they’re free of dairy which is the source of the cholesterol-packed butter and cream typically used in baked goods.


Tu-Lu's chalkboard menu 


Tu-Lu's granola 

Besides offering healthier treats, Tu-Lu’s is in such a charming location. It has a laid-back vibe, but the decorations really make it stand out when you walk by the store front. The inside walls are painted a soft pink and the bakery is lit up by pretty paper lamps. When you walk in, there’s a hand-painted tree to the right with a blue owl and pink frosted cupcakes resting on the branches. So cute! Another thing, the staff was gracious, helpful, and were clearly having fun baking back in the kitchen. 


Hand-Painted Art at Tu-Lu's 


Tu-Lu's Pink Walls and Paper Lanterns 

While I was there, I tried a few of the miniature cupcakes. There were bite-sized baby cupcakes (one vanilla-chocolate, one chocolate-chocolate, and one vanilla-coconut). I’m a health food blogger and a trained health coach, but I actually think it’s important to indulge once in awhile, but I always look for healthier ingredients and small-portioned treats, such as mini cupcakes. They were moist and delicious!
I also sipped an unsweetened Passion Plum Iced Tea and a picked up a few more baked items on my way out, figuring my boyfriend would be happy when I showed up with a brownie and fresh Carrot Morning Glory Loaf for the next morning. 


Mini Cupcakes at Tu-Lu's 


Tu-Lu's Carrot Morning Glory Loaf 

Definitely check out Tu-Lu’s when you’re in the Village. It’s a fabulous spot to bring a date or meet a few friends over the weekend. 

1 comment:

Meisha.Style said...

cupcakkes! yummy!

thank you for stopping by my blog! please come back again soon! =)

Copyright Rigmarole

Art is a product of original thought, creative compilation, and lots of blood, sweat, and tears...so please, please do not copy the content posted on this blog without permission.

Many photos are the property of Jessica Kelly Photography although not all are ghost marked, please do not use content unless an appropriate hyperlink back is created. And please shoot me an email... I like to spread the content love as a community.

I have tried to credit any outside content pulled as best I can. If you see anything miss credited please feel free to let me know so that I can fix that!
Related Posts with Thumbnails