Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Fashion 101: Market Week and the Long Hours of the Fashion Industry

I find myself, yet again, in another season of the fashion industry's notorious long hours. But truth be told, I still am so blessed to be living my dream! The long hours of the fashion industry do not only exist the month before each fashion week, every sector of the industry seems to have their busy time. For the sales team this is Market Week for every season.




So I am currently working on the sales team at a luxury brand that I have always admired. I have never worked in sales before so this is a great learning experience for me, as I build my professional portfolio. Market Week consists of selling all the looks you see walk the runways to buyers who in turn put them on the racks of their stores for YOU to buy!

When we work long hours it is because we are unpacking the samples (that just arrived from Milan, in my case). Categorizing them, pricing them, changing their hangers, and merchandising them so that what was once an empty space turns into a beautiful showroom for market week.




After the showroom is set up we are creating the market week buy books, which is the bible of the products for that season. Buy books include styles, fabric codes and colors, corresponding swatches, notes from production on any changes, and pricing and availability. Basically the answers to any questions a buyer from say, Bloomingdale's, may have about their purchase for the Spring/Summer 2012 collection they are piecing together. This looks similar to the one I found below:




Then the appointments begin and the orders start being processed. Of course that is a tale for another day, and other long hours of the fashion industry. But for now I'm enjoying teaching you about Market Week.

Be sure to try your luck before it's too late!


3 comments:

Marisa A. said...

Wow I had no idea thats how it all went down. Sounds like craziness but as long as you love what you're doing it's all fun :)

MySkinConcierge Ava said...

Again you have so much information about the fashion world! You are my go to person for all things fashion now!

Red Lip Gloss said...

You have such interesting sounds career. As envious as I am that you're living your personal dream, it sounds like a ton of work!!! Can't wait to hear more about your tales though

xo

Copyright Rigmarole

Art is a product of original thought, creative compilation, and lots of blood, sweat, and tears...so please, please do not copy the content posted on this blog without permission.

Many photos are the property of Jessica Kelly Photography although not all are ghost marked, please do not use content unless an appropriate hyperlink back is created. And please shoot me an email... I like to spread the content love as a community.

I have tried to credit any outside content pulled as best I can. If you see anything miss credited please feel free to let me know so that I can fix that!
Related Posts with Thumbnails