Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Visit NYC and NOT Look Like a Tourist

Today's post goes out to Ava, of My Skin Concierge Ava, who hit me up for some advice on dressing like a New Yorker. She is visiting NYC for the holidays (such a magical time), and wants some advice on how to NOT look like a tourist in NYC! Great question... I'm so glad you asked.

How to not look like a tourist in NYC
NYC and Not a Tourist


1. Black, Black, Black 
Black is the go to "color" of New Yorkers, it is always chic, and easy to put together. Most subscribe to the theory of the more black the better. Also it makes you look fierce, so no one questions your street smart...also important but we'll get to that later.

2. Bundle up in Layers
It gets really (really) cold in NYC. Fortunately, the holidays is when the cold is still charming winter chill rather than the wrath of Mother Nature like us locals have to endure from January - March. Start with a base thermal layer, then a hip sweater, topped off with a super structured (preferably rocked out) leather jacket. For pants switch between black skinny jeans and black leggings. Then add a statement scarf, a floppy beanie, and leather gloves (you may need more coverage than these half gloves but I couldn't resist). *Oh and the Starbucks is also crucial to your warmth as well as your New York street cred.*

3. Boots
New Yorkers pretty much wear boots all year round, don't get me started on the people that wear this exact outfit in July (yes I've witnessed this exact incident). The important thing to remember as a Tourist "New Yorker" is that you are not used to walking as much as we are everyday, and your feet will seriously hurt. But never under any circumstances are you allowed to wear sneakers unless you are coming from the actual gym in your workout clothes. Here are some adorable combat boots with only a slight wedge for style and all the right sass.

4. Backpack
You will inevitably have lots of tourist things to carry with you. Camera, maps, guide books, souvenirs, and maybe snacks. GREAT TIMING! Not only is the backpack the biggest accessory trend to hit the runways recently, it is perfect for hiding your tourist stash without leaving you unprepared! *Remember a smart phone is vitally important* it can give you directions so you don't wander in circles with a map, plus everyone wears them for good tunes to drown out the sirens.

5. Bling
Layer on the accessories and rock like no tomorrow. Multiple layered rings and bracelets are super hot right now. Grab a handful at Forever 21 and wear them all at once! *Let your confidence bling too* 90% of a New Yorker persona is in their demeanor. -When you go somewhere you don't Sunday Stroll, you power walk. -You wear an outfit likes it's the hottest thing from the runways of Lincoln Center. -And you definitely don't let people walk all over you...you are NOT rude, but you are always assertive.







So what do you think mes cheris? 
You ready to visit NYC for the holidays and not look like a tourist?

Don't forget you can still win some NYC swag 
even if you're aren't 
visiting NYC for the holidays!

3 comments:

Marisa A. said...

Love it! Hopefully next time Drew goes to NYC I get to go with, and now I won't look like a tourist! (Which is my worst nightmare)

MySkinConcierge Ava said...

Wow what a great article. I will give you a feature on my blog this week! Would you like to see this there as a Guest Blogger?

This is so sweet of you. Oh that is probably not a NYC word! (but I think we both used sass yesterday!)

I am seriously taking all your ideas and will take them with me shopping. Updates to come too!

Thanks so much - fashion mags don't give the real NYC story! AND I am honored to have inspired you to write a story for me!

Chat soon!

Ava Roxanne @MySkinConcierge

www.MySkinConciergeBlog.com

MySkinConcierge Ava said...

Just added you to my blog roll! Recip?!

Copyright Rigmarole

Art is a product of original thought, creative compilation, and lots of blood, sweat, and tears...so please, please do not copy the content posted on this blog without permission.

Many photos are the property of Jessica Kelly Photography although not all are ghost marked, please do not use content unless an appropriate hyperlink back is created. And please shoot me an email... I like to spread the content love as a community.

I have tried to credit any outside content pulled as best I can. If you see anything miss credited please feel free to let me know so that I can fix that!
Related Posts with Thumbnails